One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behave in a fair or honorable way; abide by the rules or conventions.
play fair, be fair, play by the rules, abide by the rules, follow the rules, conform, be a good sport, toe the line, keep in stepView synonyms
- ‘In their slavish desire to appear ‘fair and balanced’ the media plays the game for wingnuts by giving their talking points equal weight when there is no factual basis for them whatsoever.’
- ‘It has been my belief that you play the game according to the rules even as you work to change them.’
- ‘The rules are being rewritten while people are still playing the game.’
- ‘St Johnstone are paying the price, it appears, for not playing the game.’
- ‘I would just like to be remembered as someone who played the game, and played fair.’
- ‘He behaved and played the game in the correct spirit and led by example.’
- ‘In short they made it clear to journalists that they either played the game according to Labour rules or they had no future as a political reporter.’
- ‘But this will only work to discredit someone if the media plays the game.’
- ‘I am guilty of getting my hopes up when somebody plays the game with a little more class and independence than usual.’
- ‘The foundation of a democratic system is playing the game by the rules.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.