One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Perform the notes of a scale as an exercise for the fingers or voice.
- ‘Some of them were trying to get their voices ready by singing scales, but otherwise, most of the girls were silent.’
- ‘My advice to other pianists is to gear such matters to a purpose, but after playing scales endlessly for a week that problematical arpeggio in the score can still sound awful!’
- ‘Eventually these skills may be polished by practicing scales, arpeggios and the like hands together, with one hand at a higher dynamic level.’
- ‘Others tell of voices practising scales in empty rooms.’
- ‘This piece is for intermediate students who are comfortable playing scales, two- and three-note chords, legato and staccato articulation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.