Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An invertebrate of the phylum "Platyhelminthes"; a flatworm.
- ‘Unlike the situation in nematodes and platyhelminths, substantial evidence supports a close phylogenetic affinity of acanthocephalans to the predominately free-living rotifers.’
- ‘He also concluded that nemerteans, platyhelminths, and rotifers never had a prototroch.’
- ‘In contrast to platyhelminths, nemerteans possess a circulatory system, comprised of fluid-filled, cell-lined channels situated between the gut and body-wall musculature.’
- ‘Parasitism is a common phenomenon in many animal taxa, from simple platyhelminths to vertebrates such as fish and birds.’
- ‘It is of course possible that Rouse's decision to score platyhelminths, nemerteans, and rotifers as lacking a prototroch is defendable, and perhaps even preferable over scoring them as possessing a prototroch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.