One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Army intermediate in rank between a staff sergeant and a first sergeant.
- ‘He carried a wounded soldier to safety and then rushed to his platoon sergeant's tank, from which he fired the main gun until it jammed.’
- ‘I was an infantry platoon sergeant during the Iraq war.’
- ‘On this day, I lost a platoon sergeant and it was a devastating experience to many soldiers.’
- ‘One platoon sergeant who we jokingly call ‘Grandpa’ is now actually starting to look like one.’
- ‘As a new lieutenant, I had a platoon sergeant who'd been to combat several times who taught me that you can never train enough on certain tasks: shooting, moving, communicating, and operating in a complex environment.’
- ‘Mark Sullivan, who played the fearsome platoon sergeant in Lad's Army, is to don his boots and beret again to run in Sunday's New York marathon.’
- ‘I served for a little over 20 years in the Army as an armor soldier and leader, including time as a master gunner, staff puke, platoon sergeant, and facilitator for National Guard training.’
- ‘My head was immersed in a fog, and I couldn't even understand the words coming out of the platoon sergeant's mouth as he pinned my new rank on me.’
- ‘His platoon sergeant, Dennis Duell, knelt alone by the pile of mementos after the service.’
- ‘My platoon sergeant (an avid hunter) liked to use special commercially-available lubricants that he knew worked better.’
- ‘As the platoon sergeant from Lads' Army, he has become the face of the hit show.’
- ‘My platoon sergeant had once served in the army of the United Kingdom, and I was a practicing civil engineer.’
- ‘Secondly, interpreters should be readily available wherever possible to make sure that the troop leader, whether he be a general, a company commander or a platoon sergeant, can converse readily with the civilian population.’
- ‘A frequent argument for not providing experience-based training opportunities is that real leadership teaching and learning begins in the unit under the watchful eye of a company commander or platoon sergeant.’
- ‘The platoon leader is assisted by the support platoon sergeant, who is also the truck master of the transportation section.’
- ‘Unlike other units the staff sergeants got along and worked cooperatively with their platoon sergeant instead of against him.’
- ‘During a visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center earlier this year, Bush dropped in on Michael McNaughton, a platoon sergeant in the Louisiana National Guard who lost a leg when he stepped on a land mine in Afghanistan.’
- ‘Shortly after setting up their platoon blocking position, 1st Platoon was hit with two 82 mm mortar rounds, wounding the platoon leader and platoon sergeant.’
- ‘The Gunnery Sergeant will assist the platoon sergeant / chief of firing battery in executing his duties.’
- ‘Lehew was a platoon sergeant for Company A, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Task Force Tarawa, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.