One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player's turn at the plate, the total of which for any player includes all official at-bats plus appearances that resulted in a walk, sacrifice, etc.Compare with at-bat
- ‘Damon's value is atop the order, which means his slide in walks per plate appearance this season must stop.’
- ‘After walking in his first plate appearance, he walked only once more before being hurt.’
- ‘He drew a walk in his final plate appearance Friday night before receiving five free passes Saturday and another in the first inning yesterday.’
- ‘He strikes out a lot, but he was the most patient hitter on the club, seeing the most pitches per plate appearance and drawing 86 walks last season.’
- ‘Francoeur did not draw his first walk until his 131st plate appearance, and it was intentional.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.