Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A player's turn at the plate, the total of which for any player includes all official at bats plus appearances that resulted in a walk, sacrifice, etc.Compare with at-bat
- ‘Francoeur did not draw his first walk until his 131st plate appearance, and it was intentional.’
- ‘Damon's value is atop the order, which means his slide in walks per plate appearance this season must stop.’
- ‘He drew a walk in his final plate appearance Friday night before receiving five free passes Saturday and another in the first inning yesterday.’
- ‘He strikes out a lot, but he was the most patient hitter on the club, seeing the most pitches per plate appearance and drawing 86 walks last season.’
- ‘After walking in his first plate appearance, he walked only once more before being hurt.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.