A player's turn at the plate, the total of which for any player includes all official at bats plus appearances that resulted in a walk, sacrifice, etc.Compare with at-bat
- ‘Francoeur did not draw his first walk until his 131st plate appearance, and it was intentional.’
- ‘Damon's value is atop the order, which means his slide in walks per plate appearance this season must stop.’
- ‘He drew a walk in his final plate appearance Friday night before receiving five free passes Saturday and another in the first inning yesterday.’
- ‘He strikes out a lot, but he was the most patient hitter on the club, seeing the most pitches per plate appearance and drawing 86 walks last season.’
- ‘After walking in his first plate appearance, he walked only once more before being hurt.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.