One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plaster as part of the interior of a building, especially covering the surface of a wall or formed into decorative shapes and patterns.
- ‘The house has highly decorated interiors with lavish plasterwork, inlaid floors and exquisite joinery.’
- ‘Inside, the impressive entrance hall features a marble floor, rich red walls and ornate ceiling plasterwork.’
- ‘On the interior of the church, all areas of defective plasterwork and cement based plaster have been hacked off.’
- ‘The old houses we love and live in are almost all distinguished by the pervasive use of plasterwork.’
- ‘This phase takes place before the plumbing and plasterwork.’
- ‘Immediately to the right is the drawing room, which also has a laminated floor and decorative ceiling plasterwork.’
- ‘The dining room behind also retains its period plasterwork and tiled fireplace.’
- ‘The living room has also been decorated in white; the ceiling has 1980s decorative plasterwork which looks a little out of place.’
- ‘Stonework and plasterwork have been lovingly repaired, and a traditional sundial remade.’
- ‘It retains a number of original features, such as cast iron fireplaces and ceiling plasterwork, and is in excellent decorative order.’
- ‘In the stylish El Galatino on the Gran Via you dine to the quiet clink of cutlery beneath trompe-l'oeil walls and earthy plasterwork.’
- ‘Inside, the drawing room has a wonderfully high ceiling with intricate plasterwork, a dado rail and a sash window.’
- ‘Both feature high ceilings, ornate plasterwork, period fireplaces and wide plank wooden flooring.’
- ‘To the right, both of the interconnecting reception rooms have original fireplaces, plasterwork and window shutters.’
- ‘Decorated in pale green, it has decorative ceiling plasterwork, a white marble fireplace and French doors to the back garden.’
- ‘There are also two well-proportioned reception rooms, both with plasterwork and period tiled fireplaces.’
- ‘The house was elegantly furnished with fine plasterwork and Italian marble fireplaces.’
- ‘Another original fireplace and more plasterwork are found here while a French door leads to the back garden.’
- ‘Indeed much Victorian plasterwork is highly ornamental too, though it rarely had the refinement of the Georgian period.’
- ‘Features include mouldings, polished timber floors, high ceilings and decorative plasterwork.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.