Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Plaster as part of the interior of a building, especially covering the surface of a wall or formed into decorative shapes and patterns.
plasterwork, stuccoView synonyms
- ‘Both feature high ceilings, ornate plasterwork, period fireplaces and wide plank wooden flooring.’
- ‘Inside, the impressive entrance hall features a marble floor, rich red walls and ornate ceiling plasterwork.’
- ‘Decorated in pale green, it has decorative ceiling plasterwork, a white marble fireplace and French doors to the back garden.’
- ‘This phase takes place before the plumbing and plasterwork.’
- ‘To the right, both of the interconnecting reception rooms have original fireplaces, plasterwork and window shutters.’
- ‘Immediately to the right is the drawing room, which also has a laminated floor and decorative ceiling plasterwork.’
- ‘On the interior of the church, all areas of defective plasterwork and cement based plaster have been hacked off.’
- ‘In the stylish El Galatino on the Gran Via you dine to the quiet clink of cutlery beneath trompe-l'oeil walls and earthy plasterwork.’
- ‘Stonework and plasterwork have been lovingly repaired, and a traditional sundial remade.’
- ‘Features include mouldings, polished timber floors, high ceilings and decorative plasterwork.’
- ‘There are also two well-proportioned reception rooms, both with plasterwork and period tiled fireplaces.’
- ‘The house has highly decorated interiors with lavish plasterwork, inlaid floors and exquisite joinery.’
- ‘The old houses we love and live in are almost all distinguished by the pervasive use of plasterwork.’
- ‘Inside, the drawing room has a wonderfully high ceiling with intricate plasterwork, a dado rail and a sash window.’
- ‘The house was elegantly furnished with fine plasterwork and Italian marble fireplaces.’
- ‘Indeed much Victorian plasterwork is highly ornamental too, though it rarely had the refinement of the Georgian period.’
- ‘The dining room behind also retains its period plasterwork and tiled fireplace.’
- ‘Another original fireplace and more plasterwork are found here while a French door leads to the back garden.’
- ‘The living room has also been decorated in white; the ceiling has 1980s decorative plasterwork which looks a little out of place.’
- ‘It retains a number of original features, such as cast iron fireplaces and ceiling plasterwork, and is in excellent decorative order.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.