Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A free-swimming coelenterate larva with a flattened, ciliated, solid body.
- ‘The planula larva has very few apoptotic cells.’
- ‘Fertilized eggs may be brooded for a time or may develop directly into a free-swimming, ciliated planula larva.’
- ‘Hydra lives in freshwater, lacks a ciliated planula, and has clearly lost a medusa stage during its ancestry.’
- ‘The planulae of most cnidarians attach and lose, at most, a coat of swimming cilia.’
- ‘The planula larva settles on a hermit crab shell and metamorphoses into a primary polyp.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin planus plane, flat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.