Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the sole of the foot.
- ‘When landing from a jump, the body will remain upright while the foot attains a plantar flexed position due to activity in the triceps surae muscle.’
- ‘It usually appears in the oral cavity, anogenital region, or plantar surface of the foot, but can arise anywhere on the skin surface.’
- ‘Warts on the soles of the feet are called plantar warts.’
- ‘The peroneal in such cases provides the medial and lateral plantar arteries.’
- ‘The pressure-sensitive foot switches were secured to the calcaneus and to the first ray on the plantar surface of the foot.’
Early 18th century: from Latin plantaris, from planta sole.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.