One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the sole of the foot.
- ‘The peroneal in such cases provides the medial and lateral plantar arteries.’
- ‘It usually appears in the oral cavity, anogenital region, or plantar surface of the foot, but can arise anywhere on the skin surface.’
- ‘The pressure-sensitive foot switches were secured to the calcaneus and to the first ray on the plantar surface of the foot.’
- ‘When landing from a jump, the body will remain upright while the foot attains a plantar flexed position due to activity in the triceps surae muscle.’
- ‘Warts on the soles of the feet are called plantar warts.’
Early 18th century: from Latin plantaris, from planta ‘sole’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.