One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plants collectively, especially those native to a particular region, habitat, or geological period.‘the teeming plant life of Hawaii’‘the high water kills encroaching plant life’
- ‘It is locked into an unsustainable system that has seen the imperilling of numerous species of songbird, mammals, and fish, as well as a host of wildflowers and other plant life.’
- ‘The sheer scale of it is impressive, it's colourful, it has interesting plant life all over the shop, and the cafe sells some impressively edible pasta.’
- ‘If you would like to help in building up this important new picture of how our plant life is changing at a local level, please see our website.’
- ‘In these areas, rare and endangered species of animals, birds, and plant life are preserved and protected.’
- ‘A man crouched low in the thick bushes that were prevalent throughout the forest; he did not yet want to be seen, and the excess of plant life provided the needed concealment.’
- ‘For many people, plant life is generally seen to be quiet, and beautiful, and tame.’
- ‘With the fluctuations, the high water kills encroaching plant life and keeps the shore clear on other years.’
- ‘Because of her interest in nature, including her love of plant life, she majored in plant genetics and minored in fine art at the University of California in Berkeley.’
- ‘He also had 236 acres of extensive woodland, as well as heath land on the West Down ensuring a "rich variety of plant life and animals".’
- ‘During construction, they took special care to temporarily relocate plant life for its own protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.