Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly in science fiction) a landing or arrival on a planet after a journey through space.
- ‘I for one, don't want to still be on this ship, if it makes planetfall.’
- ‘All freighters currently en route between worlds are exempt from this fine until their next planetfall, but any ship that launches toward another PA-member world will be required to carry mail to its next destination.’
- ‘You know, I only just made planetfall a few hours ago.’
- ‘This depicts the DOMA forces making planetfall.’
- ‘Locke would provide those before they made planetfall.’
- ‘‘When the Doctor's team made planetfall they discovered that the ruins were the remains of a technologically advanced civilization,’ he continued.’
From planet + -fall, on the pattern of landfall.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.