One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in science fiction) a landing or arrival on a planet after a journey through space.
- ‘You know, I only just made planetfall a few hours ago.’
- ‘Locke would provide those before they made planetfall.’
- ‘This depicts the DOMA forces making planetfall.’
- ‘‘When the Doctor's team made planetfall they discovered that the ruins were the remains of a technologically advanced civilization,’ he continued.’
- ‘All freighters currently en route between worlds are exempt from this fine until their next planetfall, but any ship that launches toward another PA-member world will be required to carry mail to its next destination.’
- ‘I for one, don't want to still be on this ship, if it makes planetfall.’
1940s: from planet + -fall, on the pattern of landfall.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.