Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An alternative strategy.‘it's time I put plan B into action’→ plan A
- ‘The human race is conducting a gigantic and unpredictable experiment with planet Earth with potentially horrendous consequences and no plan B in sight.’
- ‘‘It is not surprising there was no plan B,’ he said, ‘because it is very difficult to work out what it would be.’’
- ‘Everyone realises that there is no plan B in the event of failure.’
- ‘Calling a few used-car dealerships is probably still not a bad idea - it will take some of the pressure off the sale if I know I have a viable plan B for selling it.’
- ‘But really, if this writing thing doesn't work out, I realize that if I don't come up with a plan B I actually am going to work in an office for the rest of my life.’
- ‘With bigger vessels unfortunately absent, the society turned to plan B, launching five smaller boats into the quay, including a 1943 vintage dinghy used by the Royal Navy.’
- ‘It's called plan B, you know, when you make a pact with a friend to get married if neither one of you finds anyone by the time you're 40.’
- ‘What if I hadn't rushed into a semi-academic job and had pursued my plan B, which was to work as a library assistant and write in every spare moment of the day?’
- ‘The iconoclastic inclinations of Ireland's youth are understandable, but there's no plan B.’
- ‘After months of reassuring everyone that there was no plan B if the French reject the constitution - guess what?’
- ‘While Scotland's great outdoors can be very beautiful and romantic, we do want couples to have a plan B in case the weather turns nasty.’
- ‘So I keep wondering: What is the Democrats' plan B?’
- ‘I'm afraid it's plan B - I've ordered the donuts - he likes those doesn't he?’
- ‘I hope she has a plan B if vet school doesn't take her!’
- ‘It's a good idea to have a plan B, so if the dotcom millionaire scheme doesn't come off you have something to fall back on.’
- ‘Highly agitated by the display before her Felicia fled to the house and began to strategize her plan B for winning back her former husband.’
- ‘So now you're falling back on plan B - demanding that I turn him over so you can bring him to Dominic.’
- ‘If not, they will revert to plan B which is using the same system as last year.’
- ‘All week, our game plan had been to throw it wide but I thought plan B worked well.’
- ‘And our job is to work with them and help them come up with a plan A, a plan B, to define goals and to attain those goals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.