A person who brings a case against another in a court of law.Compare with defendant
litigator, opponent in law, opponent, contestant, contender, disputant, plaintiff, claimant, complainant, petitioner, appellant, respondent, party, interest, defendant, accusedView synonyms
- ‘The plaintiffs engaged the defendants as their solicitors to act for them.’
- ‘Several years later the plaintiff gave the defendant notice to quit under the lease agreement.’
- ‘Three defendants were each found liable to the plaintiff in a personal injuries case.’
- ‘The defendants negligently told the plaintiffs that X was much wealthier than in fact he was.’
- ‘The plaintiffs sued the defendant alleging that he had been negligent in a number of ways.’
Late Middle English: from Old French plaintif plaintive (used as a noun). The -f ending has come down through Law French; the word was originally the same as plaintive.