Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A common and basic style of weave in which the weft alternates over and under the warp.
- ‘For example, Italy-based Sinpel srl (Saver USA) offered a plain weave reversed to a slick, coated fabric, and another Italian firm, Artea-G. Crespi srl, highlighted reversible techno fabrics in contrasting colors.’
- ‘The machinery looked complex, but what it actually did was simple enough: the looms were two-harness ones running plain weave cloth.’
- ‘Damask, a jacquard weave, is a reversible rich weave, patterned in satin or plain weave.’
- ‘The front of quilt no.801 is made from brown and tan-colored twills while the pieced back is made from plain weave cottons with a few twills mixed in.’
- ‘Only the back of quilt no.816 is pieced from long strips of plain weave cotton in colors ranging from tan to yellow to brown.’
- ‘Outing flannel is a soft, twill or plain weave fabric napped on both sides.’
- ‘‘We will start with plain weave, and make it fine, for warm weather will soon be here, and we will want lighter cloth for clothes,’ she said.’
- ‘Certainly, several 18th-century treatises on the art of painting suggest that portraits are better done on a twill canvas because the diagonal patterns are more flattering to the face than the square shapes of a plain weave.’
- ‘China silk is a lightweight fabric with sheen and plain weave.’
- ‘Percale is a plain weave of cotton or polyester/cotton blended yarns.’
- ‘Challis, a light weight soft wool in plain weave, has a printed or woven design or flowers.’
- ‘Silk Broadcloth is a plain weave silk in various weights; crisper than china silk.’
- ‘The glazed plain weave fabrics in nos.789, 816, and 818 may be examples of cambric, also used as a lining.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.