Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of feldspar consisting of aluminosilicates of sodium and/or calcium, common in igneous rocks and typically white.
- ‘Feldspar is dominated by microcline, but plagioclase and perthitic feldspar are also present.’
- ‘Coexisting MI phases in these rocks include garnet, plagioclase, quartz, tourmaline and fluorite.’
- ‘The semi-pelites usually consist of biotite, quartz, plagioclase and untwinncd feldspar, and garnet forms abundant porphyroblasts in some varieties.’
- ‘It consists of clasts of angular to rounded quartz, plagioclase, tourmaline and rock fragments, up to 3 mm in diameter.’
- ‘It is a reddish brown sandstone formed by detrital quartz, plagioclase, feldspar and muscovite, with subordinate apatite, zircon and opaque minerals.’
- ‘All monazite grains are located in the rock matrix, which consists of quartz, muscovite, biotite, epidote, chlorite, plagioclase, potassium feldspar and garnet with a granoblastic texture.’
- ‘It consists of quartz, K-feldspar, plagioclase, biotite and white mica, and in places displays a graphic texture.’
- ‘Strain shadows around feldspar porphyroclasts contain recrystallized potassium feldspar, plagioclase and quartz.’
- ‘The sample is strongly foliated and consists of garnet, biotite, quartz, plagioclase and cordierite.’
- ‘The Bakfjord Granite contains quartz, K-feldspar, biotite, plagioclase, epidote, allanite, muscovite and occasional garnet.’
- ‘The siltstones contain poorly sorted angular fragments of quartz, and angular clasts and cleavage fragments of plagioclase and alkali feldspar.’
- ‘Like P133, it consists mainly of quartz, feldspar and white mica; plagioclase can also be distinguished under the microscope.’
- ‘The metabasites typically contain coarse-grained hornblende, biotite and plagioclase with accessory titanite.’
- ‘Like zircon, quartz, plagioclase, biotite and hornblende, major phenocryst phases, also show variable resorbtion effects.’
- ‘The main constituent phases of these rocks are plagioclase, hornblende, pyroxene, quartz and K-feldspar, and accessory phases include magnetite, sphene, zircon and apatite.’
- ‘The mineral assemblage comprises quartz, K-feldspar, albitic plagioclase, white mica, apatite, tourmaline and garnet.’
- ‘The rock consists of plagioclase, K-feldspar, quartz, clinopyroxene and biotite, with abundant apatite, and ilmenite.’
- ‘Aligned igneous minerals of euhedral potassium feldspar, plagioclase, biotite and hornblende in an undeformed quartz matrix define a magmatic foliation.’
- ‘The first phase of diagenetic albite constitutes an impure, turbid variety including albitized grains of original plagioclase and alkali feldspar.’
- ‘This granulite consists of garnet, biotite, muscovite, quartz, plagioclase and cordierite.’
Mid 19th century: from plagio- + Greek klasis cleavage (because originally characterized as having two cleavages at an oblique angle).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.