Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The formation or arrangement of a placenta or placentae in a woman's or female animal's uterus.
- ‘Functional roles for relaxin within human reproductive tissues have also been implicated during placentation, parturition, and lactation.’
- ‘Notably, in the three mammalian groups, equids, murids, and peromyscids, in which placental development of interspecific hybrids was analyzed to date, placentation defects were observed.’
- ‘The presence of an apparently unique type of lymphocyte in the uterus at implantation and during early placentation is intriguing.’
- ‘Most embryo clones fail to develop, and pregnancies terminate spontaneously due to fetal abnormalities or difficulties with placentation.’
- ‘Although the exact etiology for placenta accreta and increta is not known, it is thought that damage to the decidua basalis may lead to abnormal placentation and its sequelae.’
- 1.1Botany The arrangement of the placenta or placentae in the ovary of a flower.
- ‘These are distinguished by characters of the bracts, placentation, inflorescence type, cytology and distribution.’
- ‘The berries in the most derived clade (Olmstead et al.'s subfamily ‘Solanoideae’) are all morphologically similar, with two carpels, axile placentation and mostly lenticular seeds.’
- ‘Salicornioideae seeds have a basal placentation, congruent with other representatives of the Chenopodiaceae.’
- ‘Both genera were transferred to Flacourtiaceae by Warburg and later by Gilg on the basis of a number of morphological characters, such as a trimerous ovary with parietal placentation and anthers with longitudinal dehiscence.’
- ‘The ovary is superiorly positioned with basal placentation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.