Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A significant zero in the decimal representation of a number.
- ‘It emphasises the use of zero as a placeholder.’
- ‘The use of zero as a placeholder was probably first developed by the Babylonians, possibly as early as 1500 BCE.’
- 1.1 A symbol or piece of text used in a mathematical expression or in an instruction in a computer program to denote a missing quantity or operator.
- ‘Not only does this reduce the risk of someone messing with our SQL, but some database drivers will take advantage of our placeholders in subsequent queries, giving us a speed boost.’
- ‘The HTML files contain placeholders for data that will be substituted in at runtime.’
- ‘But even users of low-end databases can benefit from using placeholders because they ensure strings will be quoted correctly, even if they contain quotation marks or apostrophes.’
- ‘Notice how we use DBI's placeholders, shown here as a question mark in the list of VALUES, to avoid potential problems with quoted strings within our SQL query.’
- ‘With the Impress files created, I needed to replace my graphic image placeholders with the actual image.’
An element of a sentence that is required by syntactic constraints but carries little or no semantic information, for example the word it as a subject in it is a pity that she left, where the true subject is that she left.
- ‘The it in suffice it to say is an impersonal or indefinite pronoun, one that functions as a grammatical placeholder without supplying much real meaning.’
- ‘According to this model, readers process text in parallel at several levels of analysis, which mesh the ease of identification with the role of function words as structural placeholders.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.