One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The numerical value that a digit has by virtue of its position in a number.
- ‘Put it another way: the place value of the left 1 depends on base b.’
- ‘They fared best in determining place value, which 45.9% could do.’
- ‘The aim of the first part is to introduce the Hindu numerals, to explain a place value system and to describe addition, multiplication and other arithmetic operations on integers and fractions in both decimal and sexagesimal notation.’
- ‘Express the number of objects in the heaps in binary and see to it that after your move the total number of non zero digits in any place value is even.’
- ‘The partial products algorithm, for example, makes explicit the place values in a problem like 362 x 4.’
- ‘In base 5 notation every place value is five times as large as the one before it.’
- ‘The most important of these was the sexagesimal place value system, widely associated with signs for the numbers 1, 10, 60, 600, and 3600.’
- ‘This is a great game for reinforcing the concept of place value.’
- ‘A second work is the Book of the Number which describes the decimal system for integers with place values from left to right.’
- ‘Pretzel sticks work well because they can be secured together in groups of five or ten or, later, even 100, to reinforce the idea of place value.’
- ‘Yet without zero we could not assign a place value to the digits.’
- ‘The ingenious method of expressing every possible number using a set of ten symbols (each symbol having a place value and an absolute value) emerged in India.’
- ‘Among early positive results was some significant improvement in understanding of the critical concept of place value.’
- ‘He developed one lesson using Base-Ten Blocks for place value.’
- ‘Earlier a place value notation number system had evolved over a lengthy period with a number base of 60.’
- ‘Arithmetic involves recognizing numbers and symbols, memorizing facts such as the multiplication table, aligning numbers, and understanding abstract concepts like place value and fractions.’
place value/plās ˈvalyo͞o/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.