Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute area of illumination on a display screen, one of many from which an image is composed.
- ‘These techniques work at the level of the pixels, the minute areas of illumination which make up images.’
- ‘The image length in pixels multiplied by the width in pixels yields the total pixel count.’
- ‘Detecting the various frequency bands for each pixel in an image can take hours.’
- ‘It could be a one pixel by one pixel graphic the same color as the background.’
- ‘Use the tools on the left-hand side of your screen to edit these pixels and design your icon.’
1960s: abbreviation of picture element (compare with pix).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.