A minute area of illumination on a display screen, one of many from which an image is composed.
- ‘The image length in pixels multiplied by the width in pixels yields the total pixel count.’
- ‘Detecting the various frequency bands for each pixel in an image can take hours.’
- ‘Use the tools on the left-hand side of your screen to edit these pixels and design your icon.’
- ‘It could be a one pixel by one pixel graphic the same color as the background.’
- ‘These techniques work at the level of the pixels, the minute areas of illumination which make up images.’
1960s: abbreviation of picture element (compare with pix).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.