Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pictures, especially photographs.
- ‘The ability to share digital pix with buddies and friends through a ‘chat’ model, based on the metaphor of a scrollable and savable filmstrip is really great.’
- ‘Digital cameras are fun, and it's obviously easy to email your pix on, but they won't look so good printed out and stuck in a photo album.’
- ‘It's official; I've seen pix from the press-conference where he announced it.’
- ‘We took some good pix but they'll have to wait until we're back.’
- ‘I'm not sure about posting pix from that event but here we are.’
- ‘If you go here, you get a very nice slide show filled with swoon-worthy pix.’
- ‘In iPhoto, for example, you can more speedily breeze through your picture library and rate individual pix with zero to five stars.’
- ‘He has posted pix of the anti-war protest in San Francisco this past weekend which should be seen by every American.’
- ‘Tens of thousands of dog pix have been uploaded to date.’
- ‘So I guess I'll post all the pix from my parties up there after I've compiled them, and then, well, they'll be there.’
- ‘Finally my official photographer has sent me some pix.’
- ‘The Reuters photo editor assured me, however, that the pix were clearly labeled as ISM pictures.’
- ‘The latest story, in Newsweek, has a clever pix of Craig with ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ fuzzy feet.’
- ‘They take pix with their digital cameras, they come home, put the memory card into their printers and print index sheets and great photos, right then and there.’
- ‘He's blogging live and continuously from the city with pix and a camera feed giving you the stories that aren't in the mainstream media.’
- ‘We exchanged pix, and he sent me his Web page right away - and he matched exactly all the descriptions I'd sent to the previous guy.’
- ‘I'll post announcements as I add more pix throughout the rest of the holidays.’
- ‘I've been into finding the various installations for a number of years and started the group so people could upload their own pix of them.’
- ‘The pix are shot with a telephoto from about 50 yards away.’
- ‘Eastman house has the largest collection of pix from the dawn of photography up until the contemporary era, after which other institutions then took the lead.’
1930s: pluralized abbreviation.
- variant spelling of pyx
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.