Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The major endocrine gland. A pea-sized body attached to the base of the brain, the pituitary is important in controlling growth and development and the functioning of the other endocrine glands.Also called hypophysis
- ‘The pituitary is a pea-sized gland situated near the base of the skull.’
- ‘A damaged or malfunctioning pituitary gland may not produce enough hormones for normal growth.’
- ‘The onset of puberty is normally triggered by the hypothalamus (the area of the brain that helps control pituitary gland function).’
- ‘However, it does seat the adenohypophysis, also known as the anterior lobe of the pituitary.’
- ‘Acquired forms of growth hormone deficiency include tumors of the pituitary, hypothalamus and optic nerve.’
- ‘It was accomplished through genetic engineering by specific modification of the pituitary and thyroid glands and reduced insulin production.’
- ‘The pituitary, in turn, tells the fetal adrenal gland to secrete more cortisol.’
- ‘Its expression appears to be limited, however, to the anterior pituitary in the adult brain.’
- ‘People with this condition may also have abnormalities of the brain and pituitary gland.’
- ‘The pituitary is called the ‘master gland’ because it controls the entire endocrine system.’
- ‘Erdheim-Chester disease may involve the pituitary, causing diabetes insipidus and other endocrine abnormalities.’
- ‘This hormone stimulates the pituitary, another endocrine gland near the brain, to secrete adrenocorticotropic hormone.’
- ‘The majority of cases are caused by a somatotroph adenoma of the anterior pituitary, and most are confined to the sella.’
- ‘Anterior pituitaries were harvested at slaughter, and the reverse plaque assay was used to examine the composition of the acidophils.’
- ‘LH is secreted by the pituitary glands in response to negative feedback from Testosterone.’
- ‘In addition, the pituitary secretes hormones that signal the ovaries and testes to make sex hormones.’
- ‘External beam radiation was delivered to the pituitary / suprasellar region.’
- ‘Isolated pituitaries were enriched for lactotrophs as described.’
- ‘Consequently, the pituitary receptors would be preserved, and the pituitary would erroneously sense that the thyroid status in the periphery is normal.’
- ‘Tadpole pituitaries secrete thyroid-stimulating hormone in response to CRH.’
Relating to the pituitary gland.
- ‘Patients who have recently had major surgery are at increased risk of pituitary apoplexy.’
- ‘Furthermore, no pigmented pituitary adenomas, to our knowledge, have been reported.’
- ‘The basisphenoid bears a deep, central depression at this point called the sella turcica or pituitary fossa.’
- ‘We present two cases of pituitary apoplexy and visual loss after major surgery.’
- ‘Five out of six females developed pituitary tumors, but none of nine males did.’
- ‘Current treatment options for pituitary tumors will be discussed and appropriate interventions recommended.’
- ‘Common nervous system manifestations include facial palsies, and hypothalamic and pituitary lesions.’
- ‘Later, he turned to an intracranial approach for pituitary tumors.’
- ‘Horses with pituitary tumors have a tendency to get secondary infections.’
- ‘Adrenal and pituitary integrity must be established.’
- ‘Pituitary adenomas exhibited intense diffuse cytoplasmic reactivity.’
- ‘The cytologic and architectural features of these tumors are reminiscent of those of the normal posterior pituitary lobe.’
- ‘People with this disease develop parathyroid, pancreas, and anterior pituitary tumors.’
- ‘The pituitary hormones are carried via the systemic circulation to target tissues throughout the body.’
- ‘A skull radiograph did not show a fracture, but he had a coincidental expanded pituitary fossa.’
- ‘Pituitary growth hormone is the other hormone involved in bone growth.’
- ‘Sometimes pituitary tumors can produce excess amounts of hormones.’
- ‘But he said it was the pituitary tumour that had killed her in June.’
- ‘A more complex system is seen in the control of pituitary hormone secretion.’
- ‘Hypothyroidism can also develop secondary to hypothalamic and pituitary disorders.’
Early 17th century: from Latin pituitarius secreting phlegm from pituita phlegm.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.