One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A coal miner.
- ‘Their bosses are putting on free yoga classes for all workers in a bid to make pitmen more alert and flexible.’
- ‘But the Wistow pitman says no amount of money can compensate for a crippling hand condition that could leave him on the unemployment scrap heap.’
- ‘At 18, David Purnell, like so many pitmen, had followed his father into the industry after 18 months working as a butcher.’
- ‘The sides of the pit contained open spaces where the pitman could stash small pots of oil and wedges.’
- ‘Thirty years ago, striking pitmen put the country on a three-day week and brought down the Heath government.’
2North American A connecting rod in machinery.
- ‘The saw frame was then lowered, and the pitman, powered by the driving pulley, moved the saw frame back and forth over the stone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.