One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Like or as dark as pitch.
black, dark, pitch-dark, black as pitchView synonyms
- ‘The pitchy pigment's obscuring weight seems to bank rather than smother the glimmering coruscations.’
- ‘More often than not they're long wooden buildings, creosoted to a pitchy blackness and with white-painted windows.’
- ‘Crystals are probably at least partially metamict and can be recognized by their high specific gravity, pitchy luster, and black color.’
- ‘Drawing has been rudely incised and rubbed with pitchy graphite, which collects in the scars of the engraved surface.’
- ‘Flint is best for hand sanding painted or pitchy surfaces which can clog the paper.’
Late Middle English: from pitch.
Off-pitch; out of tune.‘pitchy vocals’
- ‘Chris was pitchy from note one.’
- ‘All of this is incredibly frustrating since the casting was quite good, the idea was solid as mahogany and every once in a while, they found their key and were not, as Randy Jackson might say, pitchy in the least.’
- ‘First half of it was definitely really pitchy for you.’
- ‘I always found her to be nasally and pitchy, but I'm not a big fan of the country twang to begin with.’
- ‘Saucier and far less serious than last year's winner Kelly Clarkson's debut album, this disc offers all the over-the-top cheesiness of the TV show without the pitchy vocals (thank God for auto tune).’
- ‘Randy said you were pitchy.’
- ‘It's kinda pitchy and all over the shop.’
- ‘"With You Gone" contains the pitchiest vocals this side of the "American Idol" semifinals.’
- ‘He was a little pitchy in some spots, but not bad.’
- ‘She described at least 7 out of 10 performances as 'pitchy', but I'm not sure anyone knows what that really means.’
- ‘She was pitchy, off key in several places and missed words.’
- ‘In the words of Randy Jackson, the beginning was pretty "pitchy."’
- ‘His voice screamed inside of her head louder and more pitchy than before.’
- ‘The contestants are urged not to be ‘pitchy’, and are congratulated for their high notes and telegenic appeal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.