Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of, like, or as dark as pitch.
black, dark, pitch-dark, black as pitchView synonyms
- ‘Flint is best for hand sanding painted or pitchy surfaces which can clog the paper.’
- ‘Crystals are probably at least partially metamict and can be recognized by their high specific gravity, pitchy luster, and black color.’
- ‘The pitchy pigment's obscuring weight seems to bank rather than smother the glimmering coruscations.’
- ‘More often than not they're long wooden buildings, creosoted to a pitchy blackness and with white-painted windows.’
- ‘Drawing has been rudely incised and rubbed with pitchy graphite, which collects in the scars of the engraved surface.’
Off-pitch; out of tune.‘pitchy vocals’
- ‘She described at least 7 out of 10 performances as 'pitchy', but I'm not sure anyone knows what that really means.’
- ‘It's kinda pitchy and all over the shop.’
- ‘The contestants are urged not to be ‘pitchy’, and are congratulated for their high notes and telegenic appeal.’
- ‘Chris was pitchy from note one.’
- ‘First half of it was definitely really pitchy for you.’
- ‘I always found her to be nasally and pitchy, but I'm not a big fan of the country twang to begin with.’
- ‘She was pitchy, off key in several places and missed words.’
- ‘In the words of Randy Jackson, the beginning was pretty "pitchy."’
- ‘His voice screamed inside of her head louder and more pitchy than before.’
- ‘"With You Gone" contains the pitchiest vocals this side of the "American Idol" semifinals.’
- ‘He was a little pitchy in some spots, but not bad.’
- ‘Randy said you were pitchy.’
- ‘All of this is incredibly frustrating since the casting was quite good, the idea was solid as mahogany and every once in a while, they found their key and were not, as Randy Jackson might say, pitchy in the least.’
- ‘Saucier and far less serious than last year's winner Kelly Clarkson's debut album, this disc offers all the over-the-top cheesiness of the TV show without the pitchy vocals (thank God for auto tune).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.