One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ring on a piston sealing the gap between the piston and the cylinder wall.
- ‘All piston rings rely on cylinder pressure for sealing; gas ports just apply the pressure more efficiently.’
- ‘Random leak testing is also recommended because any cylinder leakage indicates a bent valve or a faulty piston ring.’
- ‘Something was broken and Bill and I suspected he'd blown a piston ring.’
- ‘There were also many piston and piston ring failures.’
- ‘The downside is that tiny amounts of oil can force their way up past the piston ring into the combustion chamber.’
piston ring/ˈpistn ˌriNG/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.