(of a plant or flower) having pistils but no stamens.Compare with staminate
- ‘In each treatment, eight to 20 pistillate flowers on different plants were used.’
- ‘In a hermaphroditic plant, flowers are first staminate, then pistillate, and the sexual stages do not overlap within the flower.’
- ‘Each flower head is 12-25 mm in diameter and consists of 50-60 bisexual disk florets surrounded by 12-15 pistillate ray florets.’
- ‘It was difficult to determine the duration of the staminate and pistillate phases in L. spicata because of pollinator activity.’
- ‘Bract length was measured from the base of the bract to the apex of the midrib for both pistillate and staminate plants.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.