One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ski run of compacted snow.
course, racecourseView synonyms
- ‘Here you'll find excellent cross-country and downhill skiing facilities on wonderfully uncrowded pistes.’
- ‘Not so long ago, I took a cable-car from Cervinia to Plan Maison and spent the day with the baby while the rest of my family skied the prepared pistes.’
- ‘Winter, is of course, also the season to hit the pistes.’
- ‘These are confident skis that can take advanced skiers who rarely leave the piste to places they've never seen.’
- ‘The Dolomiti Ski Superpass gives access to 125 miles of pistes and 460 lifts for around £100.’
- ‘If Federer tried his luck on the piste tomorrow he would probably melt the snow.’
- ‘This, coupled with 110 km of pistes, means it's no wonder that three-quarters of skiers in the area are repeat guests.’
- ‘Powder and nicely-prepared pistes are really boring compared to random ice patches, flat light and five metre visibility.’
- ‘The group were obviously delighted when they arrived at their destination, Ruka and saw several feet of snow on the piste.’
- ‘Boian also helped create the pistes and ski lifts on the mountain.’
- ‘We're talking one chair lift, a few drag lifts, a bare piste or three with attendant facilities and equipment hire from The Stone Age.’
- ‘We came here last year for Christmas and you couldn't find a piste to ski there were so many people.’
- ‘One skier on her first day on the piste did not even make it as far as the ski lift.’
- ‘The sun is shining on Alpine pistes and resorts are relying on artificial snow cannons to keep slopes open.’
- ‘The first snow on the gravel piste caused some of the bikers to turn the same colour.’
- ‘Its range of pistes is ideal for beginners and intermediate skiers.’
- ‘On a day of new snow, you can powder-ski on the piste.’
- ‘The skiing is suitable for all abilities and ski pistes descend right in to the centre of the various levels of the resorts.’
- ‘THESE SKIS are designed for use on the groomed pistes.’
- ‘In Italy, anger over collisions between skiers and boarders even led to the creation of separate pistes for the two sports.’
French, literally ‘racetrack’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.