One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or concerning fish.
fishlike, of fishView synonyms
- ‘The mystery of fish slumber lies within the greater mystery of the piscine mind.’
- ‘The balloonfish swallows air, when attacked by avian predators, or water, when attacked by piscine predators.’
- ‘But that could be difficult for the piscine inhabitants of Yorkshire rivers these dark, cold December nights.’
- ‘Viewing this piscine cornucopia, Baldwin was struck with the thought, ‘There's so much here every day.’’
- ‘Three summers ago, there were so many insects that piscine sumptuary laws could have been declared.’
Late 18th century: from Latin piscis ‘fish’ + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.