One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fishing on the high seas in contravention of national and international laws governing quotas, typically by ships under flags of convenience that are owned by dummy companies.
- ‘While there is an unprecedented explosion of illegal, unreported and unregulated pirate fishing, Australia refuses to consider a temporary moratorium.’
- ‘The country has acted aggressively on pirate fishing and fish laundering, blacklisting boats that operate under flags of convenience.’
- ‘The biologist said employing such steps are preferable to banning commercial fishers from critical habitat: The latter ‘would only lead to the worse problem of pirate fishing in the same areas and more birds killed,’ Croxall said.’
- ‘‘The number of pirate fishing vessels is growing,’ says Greenpeace's Desley Mather.’
- ‘Regulators from several nations patrol and try to limit pirate fishing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.