Fishing on the high seas in contravention of national and international laws governing quotas, typically by ships under flags of convenience that are owned by dummy companies.
- ‘The biologist said employing such steps are preferable to banning commercial fishers from critical habitat: The latter ‘would only lead to the worse problem of pirate fishing in the same areas and more birds killed,’ Croxall said.’
- ‘The country has acted aggressively on pirate fishing and fish laundering, blacklisting boats that operate under flags of convenience.’
- ‘‘The number of pirate fishing vessels is growing,’ says Greenpeace's Desley Mather.’
- ‘While there is an unprecedented explosion of illegal, unreported and unregulated pirate fishing, Australia refuses to consider a temporary moratorium.’
- ‘Regulators from several nations patrol and try to limit pirate fishing.’