Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A North American plant of the wintergreen family, with whorled evergreen leaves.
- ‘Common pipsissewa is found in dry, shady woods, especially in pine forests, from New Brunswick to British Columbia and south to Georgia, Mexico, and California.’
- ‘Armed with a wildflower guidebook from the farm's library, I identify everything from pipsissewa to trailing arbutus.’
- 1.1A preparation of pipsissewa leaves, used as a diuretic and tonic.
- ‘As a diuretic, pipsissewa helps "flush out" infectious microorganisms.’
- ‘Pipsissewa improves kidney and liver function by helping the body eliminate excess fluids.’
Late 18th century: from Eastern Abnaki, literally flower of the woods.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.