One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The laying of pipelines.
- ‘The agencies responsible for oil management are a complete hodgepodge, with seven different agencies having some degree of responsibility for some aspect of oil drilling, transport, pipelining, etc.’
- 1.1 Transportation by means of pipelines.
- ‘When the issue of pipelining Alaskan oil comes up, environmentalists start crying like a little girl with a skinned knee.’
A form of computer organization in which successive steps of an instruction sequence are executed in turn by a sequence of modules able to operate concurrently, so that another instruction can be begun before the previous one is finished.
- ‘It targets single streams of data and multiple, parallel streams through a mix of latency reduction, pipelining, real-time access, prioritisation and channel arbitration.’
- ‘It also implements instruction pipelining to overlap commands sent between the CPU and I / O devices.’
- ‘Instruction pipelining and prefetch and memory interleaving appeared in early IBM supercomputers and have become universal in today's microprocessors.’
- ‘In tape pipelining, the server and tape controller can sit thousands of miles apart, but the two units believe they are sitting next to each other in the same data center.’
- ‘With tape pipelining, remote tape backup/restore comes of age.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.