Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A homemade bomb, the components of which are contained in a pipe.
- ‘Abdul Rahman told reporters the bomb squad had found a metal pipe bomb in the house.’
- ‘At approximately 9: 03 this morning, a Caltrans maintenance crew located a pipe bomb or what appeared to be a pipe bomb.’
- ‘An improvised explosive device, a pipe bomb, went off and yes, it has, I suppose, marred the reputation of the 1996 Olympics.’
- ‘Shortly before the announcement on IRA decommissioning, an eight year old Belfast girl was injured by shrapnel in a pipe bomb explosion.’
- ‘This family were attacked by a pipe bomb last May.’
- ‘On the north Antrim coast, a pipe bomb was made safe by army bomb disposal teams in Portrush after being pushed through the letterbox of a flat.’
- ‘The object is, in fact, nothing less than a large pipe bomb.’
- ‘The pipe bomb is a lethal weapon and nothing can justify its use.’
- ‘In March 1999, police in Santa Fe, New Mexico, disarmed a ten-inch pipe bomb left in the Forest Guardians' mailbox.’
- ‘And late yesterday, we also found out that the improvised explosive device that this device was actually holding around his neck was in fact, a pipe bomb.’
- ‘Bomb disposal experts from Collins Barracks, Cork disarmed the pipe bomb yesterday afternoon.’
- ‘I've had recently, within the last ten days, a bomb placed - a pipe bomb placed at my house.’
- ‘The rifle and the pipe bomb embody a real sense of violence and the artists are making us think about them in different ways.’
- ‘A Jackson County man reported a pipe bomb to the Jackson County Sheriff's Department on Friday - about five months after he found it.’
- ‘Naidoo said investigations would confirm the type of explosives used, but confirmed the device had been a pipe bomb.’
- ‘Army explosives experts were also called to Ahoghill, Co Antrim after a pipe bomb was found outside Dougan's furniture outlet.’
- ‘On the second day, May 4, Helder was stopped 12 miles outside of Albion, Nebraska, where a pipe bomb had been found in a mailbox.’
- ‘A police spokesman said: ‘A number of police officers saw a man move forward with what appeared to be a pipe bomb in his hand.’’
- ‘The latest incident took place as 19-year-old WIlliam Campbell, who was killed when the pipe bomb he was handling exploded, was being buried.’
- ‘Last month someone exploded a pipe bomb in a stem-cell research center near Boston, but the administration didn't denounce this as a terrorist attack.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.