One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for Surinam toad
- ‘In Pipa, a secondarily aquatic frog, using alternate sets of histological sections, reveals that, apart from Jacobson's organ, this species has a ‘water-nose’ and an ‘air-nose’.’
Early 18th century: probably from Galibi.
A shallow-bodied, four-stringed Chinese lute.
- ‘The founder and musical director Khor Seng Chew emerged in music circles as the Malaysian national pipa champion, beating over 100 contestants.’
- ‘If you wanna show off, then why don't you learn to play the pipa?’
- ‘Since '96, Montreal has been home to Fang, her pipa (the Chinese lute) and the stack of awards and honours she picked up in her native China.’
- ‘Many Chinese people might have forgotten that pipa the traditional Chinese instrument, was actually introduced to China along the Silk Road.’
- ‘Three of the most popular instruments are the two-string violin, the lute, and the pipa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.