One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meson having a mass approximately 270 times that of an electron.Also called pi meson
- ‘A neutral pion consists of a down quark and a down antiquark.’
- ‘The proton and the neutron are baryons; the electron, the muon, and the neutrino are leptons; whilst the pions are mesons.’
- ‘He worked primarily on the interaction of pions with protons.’
- ‘Kaons and pions are examples of particles known as mesons, which contain a quark and an antiquark.’
- ‘In turn, these decay into other subatomic particles, like kaons and pions.’
1950s: from pi (the letter used as a symbol for the particle) + -on.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.