One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium-sized speckled variety of kidney bean.
- ‘They found that red beans ranked number one, followed by wild blueberries, red kidney beans, pinto beans, and cultivated blueberries.’
- ‘By 1981 the total irrigated acreage had increased to 40,000 acres, and crop diversification had added alfalfa, pinto beans, corn, and milo.’
- ‘There are pinto beans spiked with meaty bacon that just want a lick of salt.’
- ‘Rita snapped around when she heard shuffling in the pinto beans.’
- ‘She dines on such delicacies as turkey a la king and ‘down home’ ham and pinto beans.’
- ‘Foods that are high in fiber include black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans and many vegetables, such as broccoli and peas.’
- ‘No matter where your tastes take you, serve the tostada with pinto beans and Mexican rice for a satisfying weeknight fiesta.’
- ‘Most entrées include a clay pot of aromatic, beer-marinated pinto beans laced with jalapeños, a decent scoop of tomato-touched white rice and shredded lettuce topped with pico de gallo.’
- ‘We were handed a bowl containing a square of white-corn cornbread soaking up the bacon-flavored pinto bean broth along with a cup of sweet, fresh buttermilk.’
- ‘Legumes such as lentils, black-eyed peas, soybeans, chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans and black beans are lowfat, filling and loaded with fiber, protein and carbs.’
- ‘Kidney and pinto beans have 4-6 grams of fiber per half-cup.’
- ‘They process corn, popcorn, soybeans, and wheat, as well as amaranth, millet and dry edible beans such as navy beans, black turtle beans, pinto beans and great northern beans.’
- ‘To make sure you're getting enough, eat two to three daily servings of lean protein, like chicken, fish, lentils, and kidney, navy, cannellini, and pinto beans.’
- ‘Among your best bets are legumes such as chickpeas, pinto beans and lentils, which offer 5-7 fiber grams per half-cup serving.’
- ‘Soy and pinto beans, walnuts, and flaxseed are good sources of PUFAs, as are vegetables such as leeks and purslane.’
- ‘I would like a steak burrito, no rice, pinto beans with sour cream and cheese, and a small coke.’
- ‘In a published report, he concluded that ‘manure that contains either [antibiotic] should not be applied to sandy loam soil just before pinto beans, and possibly other seed legumes, are planted.’’
- ‘Some varieties, such as black and pinto beans, need only to be left on the plant until they've dried, usually when the plant has died.’
- ‘I went to make penne in vodka tomato sauce the other night and all I had was 1/2 box of whole wheat penne and a can of pinto beans.’
- ‘They served enchiladas, pinto beans, tossed salad, and fruit gelatin.’
Early 20th century: pinto from pinto, because of the mottled seed of this variety of bean.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.