The ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.
- ‘Fluid phase pinocytosis may be the main mechanism of uptake of hydrophilic TP.’
- ‘An extensive literature search failed to uncover specific documentation of PI uptake by pinocytosis.’
- ‘It is possible that the chemical can gain entry into cells as small, colloidal particles via phagocytosis or pinocytosis and may also enter dead, dying or damaged cells.’
- ‘Cells use pinocytosis to take up TCII hydroxocobalamin.’
- ‘However, small areas of low emission could be found in the cytoplasm, showing that the compound was taken up by the cells, probably by pinocytosis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek pino drink + -cytosis on the pattern of phagocytosis.