Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.
- ‘Fluid phase pinocytosis may be the main mechanism of uptake of hydrophilic TP.’
- ‘An extensive literature search failed to uncover specific documentation of PI uptake by pinocytosis.’
- ‘It is possible that the chemical can gain entry into cells as small, colloidal particles via phagocytosis or pinocytosis and may also enter dead, dying or damaged cells.’
- ‘Cells use pinocytosis to take up TCII hydroxocobalamin.’
- ‘However, small areas of low emission could be found in the cytoplasm, showing that the compound was taken up by the cells, probably by pinocytosis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek pino drink + -cytosis on the pattern of phagocytosis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.