One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A card game for two or more players using a 48-card deck consisting of two of each card from nine to ace, the object being to score points for various combinations and to win tricks.
- ‘It would open up a can of worms to make the previous strike talks look like pinochle.’
- ‘Free Canasis.com is an online pinochle site that offers the most variations of pinochle including both single deck and double deck styles, both the old and new rules.’
- ‘He loved politics, pinochle, and horses, my mother used to say, plus his family.’
- ‘In summary, no longer does leisure-time enjoyment for the older crowd end with the final hand of pinochle or the last bingo card.’
- ‘Even if his relationship with Bryant is repaired, even if they play pinochle and go bowling together on their off-nights, the Lakers simply are not good enough to compete for a championship.’
- ‘On the platform was a small table, and the rabbi, the president, the shames and a trosti were sitting there playing a noisy, heated game of pinochle.’
- ‘Many books give a lower score of 45 for triple pinochle but a higher score of 300 for quadruple pinochle.’
- ‘I believe that anyone who plays sports in any realm, whether you're playing soccer, football, basketball, pinochle or bridge, if you're going to go do it, you go to win.’
- ‘To the pedestrians passing by, it looks as if we're playing pinochle.’
- ‘The men played loud games of cutthroat euchre or pinochle under the trees while the women luxuriated by doing nothing.’
- ‘Points are counted as in normal pinochle to determine if the bidder ‘made’ his bid (one point for each ace, ten and king; one for the last trick: total 25).’
- ‘So I got good at them all - bridge, checkers, pinochle, you name it.’
- ‘I strayed instead into the less elegant world of pinochle, an addiction that almost caused me to flunk out of college.’
- ‘Retiring on a diet of golf and pinochle may be relaxing, but the body, mind and soul crave more.’
- ‘We play pinochle and talk about what's going on in the world.’
- ‘Lisa taught Joscelyn, Alex, and Lydia to play pinochle and poker (for bobby pins or leaves).’
- ‘The two sisters played pinochle, drank coffee, ate junk food, and lived in their housecoats.’
- 1.1 The combination of queen of spades and jack of diamonds in this game.
- ‘A double combination is one that contains two copies of each card and a double pinochle is two spade queens and two diamond jacks.’
- ‘Pinochle is the combination of a Jack of Diamonds and a Queen of Spades, from which the game gets its name.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.