The external part of the ear in humans and other mammals; the auricle.
- ‘The pinnae of the ears are large and can fold back to protect the ears while the aardvark is burrowing.’
- ‘Contact dermatitis, irritant or allergic, can involve the pinna as well as the external auditory canal.’
- ‘Under direct vision the excessive hair follicles of the external ear canal and pinna were targeted by the laser beam.’
- ‘Body piercing and multiple ear piercings in the pinna, rather than the earlobe, are catching on.’
- ‘Patients with otitis externa experience pain on manipulation of the pinna or tragus, and their ear canal is edematous and filled with infectious debris.’
A primary division of a pinnate leaf, especially of a fern.
- ‘Lepidoteris fronds typically have so-called intercalary pinnules along the rachis between the primary pinnae, and are covered with the characteristic blisters mentioned above.’
- ‘If the primary pinnae are divided, then the individual divisions are known as pinnules.’
- ‘Each leaf has many pinnae and a leaf axis that is subdivided into a midrib and a petiole.’
Any of a number of animal structures resembling fins or wings.
- ‘They get their name from the Latin words pinna (feather or wing) and pedes (feet).’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from a variant of Latin penna feather, wing, fin.