One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal The little finger.‘bring the thumb and pinkie up until they are upright’as modifier ‘you're skinnier than my pinky finger!’
- ‘Her arms were crossed and her hands were curled in a fist, palm up, with her thumbs and pinkies sticking out.’
- ‘Taylor continues ranting a bit longer, winding a strand of bleach-blond hair around her pinkie.’
- ‘Roy smiles, and points his left hand at me, the pinkie and ring finger extended and others curled in.’
- ‘Lynn nodded and twirled her brown hair around her pinkie finger.’
- ‘On a normal keyboard, the resting position for my left hand has my pinkie and ring finger touching the side of the keyboard.’
- ‘She pushed her sunglasses up on her short hair, licked her pinkie, and rubbed her viewing lens.’
- ‘I bet I could get my pinkie all the way in to the first knuckle.’
- ‘The man across the table wearing a fur coat and had very long nails on his pinkies.’
- ‘Gill had surgery on a broken pinkie on his left, non-shooting hand.’
- ‘On the pinkie of her right hand she wears a large yellow jade stone set in diamonds, a traditional symbol worn by rich people to protect themselves from swindles.’
- ‘You watch a movie from 10 years ago, and people have cell phones the size of their heads, while now they're the size of their pinkies.’
- ‘Scraping those last lipstick remnants out the tube with your pinkie is one way to stretch your lip color.’
- ‘She chewed grimly on the fingernail of her little pinkie, narrowing her eyebrows in frustration.’
- ‘He'd tear apart the whole city in fury if his granddaughter gets even a little scratch on her pinkie.’
- ‘He sticks his pinkie fingers in his mouth and whistles.’
- ‘Kath held out her pinkie and Chloe hooked fingers with her.’
- ‘He's got a lived-in face and a diamond on his pinkie the size of the Ritz.’
- ‘The nails on her pinkie and index finger were crushed.’
- ‘All of his fingernails are short and dirty, except for the nail on his right pinkie, which is clean and long.’
- ‘The two little girls locked pinkies, looked at each other, kissed their fist, spit on the ground, and kicked sand over it.’
2US informal, derogatory A contemptuous term for a white person.
3The maggot of the greenbottle fly, used as fishing bait.
4Australian dated, informal Cheap or homemade wine.
Early 19th century: pinkie (sense 1) partly from Dutch pinkje ‘the little finger’, reinforced by pink.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.