One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to work traditionally associated with women.
- ‘I believe that most feminist policies harm the very women they should be protecting - that is, the pink-collar worker.’
- ‘Most tend to be nurses, teachers or hold clerical and other pink-collar jobs, while many are stressed to the hilt by family and work demands.’
- ‘Freeman explored the interconnected ‘dialectics of globalization/localization, production/consumption, and gender/class’ through the everyday lives of pink-collar informatics operators in Barbados.’
- ‘Secretarial or low-level administrative jobs are so overwhelmingly female that they have been termed pink-collar jobs.’
- ‘Sexual harassment is still endemic and the pink-collar ghetto is still prevalent.’
- ‘Banished from sales, she too was mired in a pink-collar ghetto and often refused basic necessities like restrooms.’
- ‘The blue-collar sector posted a 173-percent increase in employment from 1992 to 1997, stronger than the growth in the pink-collar temping.’
- ‘In addition, poor wages not only offset women's increased access to the job market, but occupational segregation, as a result of women's access, helped to lower the status of certain jobs and create pink-collar ghettos.’
- ‘Over the years, women have tried everything to succeed in business: fitting in; biding their time in order to rise in an organization; taking shelter in pink-collar ghettos.’
- ‘Temporary employment in pink-collar occupations grew by 151 percent between 1992 and 1997, a period in which the growth rate for temp employment as a whole was 110 percent.’
- ‘Almost half the crowd was made up of overweight women in pairs, trios, or quartets, most wearing clothing and makeup that identified them as pink-collar workers.’
- ‘Every packed lunch is one day fewer spent slaving in the pink-collar ghetto.’
- ‘At the start of the 1980s, the pink-collar segment of the industry represented 39 percent of the temporary workforce, with white-collar placements accounting for an additional 26 percent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.