Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vole with dense fur, found chiefly in forests in North America and Eurasia.
- ‘Pine voles live throughout the eastern half of the United States and favor open woodlands and orchards.’
- ‘A small number of species thought to have disappeared, such as the Lord Howe Island stick insect and Bavarian pine vole, have been rediscovered since 2000.’
- ‘Their overall adult body length varies from 3 to 5 1/2 inches in the pine vole, to about 4 1/2 to 7 inches in the meadow and prairie voles.’
- ‘The Bavarian pine vole, last seen in 1962, scurried back into view in 2000.’
- ‘Previous studies show that one of the species, a pine vole, has been extinct in England for the last 400,000 years.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.