One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Substitute for another as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game.‘Combs was supposed to pinch-run in the 12th’
- ‘Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.’
- ‘Paul, who has good speed, can pinch-run in late innings.’
- ‘In one game, with runners on first and second base, Alvin Dark sent Washington in to pinch-run at first base.’
- ‘You can pinch-run a slow guy and hell steal a base.’
- ‘His grandfather, Jim Delsing, played professional baseball for the New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and St. Louis Browns, and is best known as the man who pinch-ran for Eddie Gaedel in 1951.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.