Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Substitute for another as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game.
- ‘In one game, with runners on first and second base, Alvin Dark sent Washington in to pinch-run at first base.’
- ‘Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.’
- ‘His grandfather, Jim Delsing, played professional baseball for the New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and St. Louis Browns, and is best known as the man who pinch-ran for Eddie Gaedel in 1951.’
- ‘You can pinch-run a slow guy and hell steal a base.’
- ‘Paul, who has good speed, can pinch-run in late innings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.