Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A game in which small metal balls are shot across a sloping board and score points by striking various targets.
- ‘They vandalized the arcade and 40 pinball machines and injured six security personnel guarding the arcade.’
- ‘The game is part pinball, part fast-moving Sonic-esque adventure in which the pinballs can be made to jump to collect gold coins.’
- ‘Once we had this cool old pinball machine that some old guy named Clancy left.’
- ‘This is also a good movie because your parents can go out to the lobby, play pinball and then come back without losing the plot.’
- ‘And while you play pinball you have another game playing together.’
- ‘We strolled around through the flashing, neon lights and loud pinball machines.’
- ‘The mechanics, look and gameplay of pinball are pretty limited.’
- ‘I yelled while trying to score something on the stupid pinball machine.’
- ‘What's more, he keeps on bringing up some stupid pinball game on the computer so that I can't see the map properly.’
- ‘A quick tour of the camp turned up more cute boys than we could count, and a pinball machine in the game room.’
- ‘He shouted at her over the beeps and dings of pinball machines and video games, pointing toward the back.’
- ‘With six floors it covers everything from pinball machines to video games.’
- ‘Earlier this month Sega said it was planning to merge with Sammy Corporation, a maker of pinball gaming machines and software.’
- ‘Sammy is famous for making pachinko machines, which are apparently a cross between a slot machine and pinball.’
- ‘Competing against a friend to see who can wrack up the highest score is what makes pinball fun.’
- ‘I doubt that it would have gotten as much play time if it was some run-of-the-mill pinball machine with a generic theme.’
- ‘If Gina wouldn't go there was always someone else willing to hang out and watch me play pinball with me instead of going home.’
- ‘The cars never see the inside of a garage, because you wouldn't notice them there and because the garage is full of archaic games and pinball machines.’
- ‘Other residents lost a collection of old board games, pinball machines, vintage clothes and old books.’
- ‘Jared and Jake where in an intense game of pool while Mike was playing with the pinball machine when I walked in.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.