One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lava which has solidified as rounded masses, characteristic of eruption under water.count noun ‘pillow lavas can now be seen along the once volcanic coast of Green Gardens’
- ‘The group includes melange which consists of greywacke, limestone, pillow lava, gabbro and serpentenite blocks in a black shale matrix.’
- ‘Three pillow lava sites yielded data with westerly declinations and moderately inclined positive inclinations.’
- ‘Below water this has cooled and solidified into a reef of billowing pillow lava that splurges across the sand, leaving deep undercuts, caves and arches.’
- ‘The upper flow unit is well exposed in the Prospect Park quarry and is made up of three types of lava flow structures: massive, columnar basalt, subaqueous, pahoehoe flow lobes, and bedded pillow lava.’
- ‘The ophiolitic rocks comprise a complete ophiolite stratigraphy: i.e. ultramafic cumulates, gabbro, sheeted dykes, pillow lava and local chert and limestone.’
pillow lava/ˈpilō ˈlävə/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.