One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small shallow cylindrical box for holding pills.
- ‘Medication calendars or pillboxes labeled with the days of the week can help patients and caregivers know when medications have or have not been taken.’
- ‘There are figurines amassed by Christie's father, 20th-century pottery of Anthony's and watches and pillboxes of Christie's.’
- ‘The special category winner was Annie May Cullanlou for her hand painted pillbox.’
- ‘Never mix two different drugs in the same pillbox.’
- ‘His face adorns pillowcases, posters, power toys and pillboxes.’
- ‘Some people put their pills in a daily pillbox and use alarms to remind themselves to take their medicines.’
- ‘He quickly made a mental list of the empty pillboxes he found on the floor.’
- ‘Try strategies such as organizing your medications for the week in a pillbox, linking your med times to regular events like meals, or marking a calendar when you take your meds.’
- ‘Provide a written dosing schedule, pictures of medications, daily or weekly pillboxes, alarm clocks, pagers, or other reminders.’
- 1.1 A woman's round hat with upright sides, a flat top, and no brim.
- ‘On the second day of the trial, Ellie Strubing entered the courthouse in a dark plaid coat and matching pillbox hat, attended by a doctor and a nurse.’
- ‘My mother unveiled a slim and elegant gold-plated pillbox at breakfast after my New York City book party.’
- 1.2 A small, enclosed, partly underground concrete fort used as an outpost.
- ‘There is a set of features along its entire length - World War II defence emplacements, otherwise known as pillboxes.’
- ‘The mobile Sherman tanks were not as effective because of the rubble, so they would be hidden in buildings to operate like a pillbox.’
- ‘The survey looked at buildings, from small pillboxes to aircraft hangars, including an unusual water board supply bunker at Blunsdon.’
- ‘A better coastal trip is the southern route along to Agrigento, dotted with the pillboxes left behind after the war.’
- ‘He almost single-handedly captured two pillboxes on the Mont Fleury Battery and took more than 20 prisoners.’
- ‘Dutch Harbor is an easy two-hour flight from Anchorage, and the area is covered with reminders of the war, from concrete pillboxes to a large, underground hospital.’
- ‘He was dealing with the first part of the events that won him the VC, getting on top of the pillbox and chucking grenades into it.’
- ‘Sandbag-lined bunkers and hastily-constructed concrete pillboxes rose sporadically out of the churned land.’
- ‘We had to use grenades to get at the Germans in the cement pillboxes, throwing them through the holes to knock their guns out.’
- ‘One first world war pillbox was monitored, as were over 40 second world war examples.’
- ‘The observant visitor to the Norfolk coast can hardly fail to notice its abundant Second World War defences, especially pillboxes.’
- ‘As a member of the Western Front Association, he is currently trying to save a concrete pillbox on Rochdale Road East, not far from Heywood Cemetery.’
- ‘Examples of less ambitious fortifications abound, like the concrete pillboxes, often hexagonal, which dot southern England.’
- ‘There is evidence of mine clearing activities, movements of soldiers, bunkers around buildings and military pillboxes perched on the tops of hills.’
- ‘The objective was a ridge with strong points and pillboxes.’
- ‘Concrete pillboxes stand as if abandoned only hours before, huge guns still point to sea covering narrow deepwater channels, and everywhere is the detritus of a vanquished army.’
- ‘Concrete pillboxes were constructed above the high tide mark, soldiers occupied some of the cottages along the shore front and guards prevented anyone going on the beach at night.’
- ‘He jumped on top of the pillbox, recharged the magazine, threw a grenade in through the door, fired his Sten gun into the box, killing two Germans and making the remainder prisoners.’
- ‘When I landed I was carrying a 25-pound explosive which I was given to blow up a pillbox on the beach.’
- ‘It has more than two kilometres of trails, a five-acre lake, wartime pillboxes and new woodland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.