One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small shallow cylindrical box for holding pills.
- ‘Provide a written dosing schedule, pictures of medications, daily or weekly pillboxes, alarm clocks, pagers, or other reminders.’
- ‘Some people put their pills in a daily pillbox and use alarms to remind themselves to take their medicines.’
- ‘Medication calendars or pillboxes labeled with the days of the week can help patients and caregivers know when medications have or have not been taken.’
- ‘He quickly made a mental list of the empty pillboxes he found on the floor.’
- ‘There are figurines amassed by Christie's father, 20th-century pottery of Anthony's and watches and pillboxes of Christie's.’
- ‘The special category winner was Annie May Cullanlou for her hand painted pillbox.’
- ‘His face adorns pillowcases, posters, power toys and pillboxes.’
- ‘Never mix two different drugs in the same pillbox.’
- ‘Try strategies such as organizing your medications for the week in a pillbox, linking your med times to regular events like meals, or marking a calendar when you take your meds.’
- 1.1 A woman's round hat with upright sides, a flat top, and no brim.
- ‘On the second day of the trial, Ellie Strubing entered the courthouse in a dark plaid coat and matching pillbox hat, attended by a doctor and a nurse.’
- ‘My mother unveiled a slim and elegant gold-plated pillbox at breakfast after my New York City book party.’
- 1.2 A small, enclosed, partly underground concrete fort used as an outpost.
- ‘The survey looked at buildings, from small pillboxes to aircraft hangars, including an unusual water board supply bunker at Blunsdon.’
- ‘We had to use grenades to get at the Germans in the cement pillboxes, throwing them through the holes to knock their guns out.’
- ‘There is evidence of mine clearing activities, movements of soldiers, bunkers around buildings and military pillboxes perched on the tops of hills.’
- ‘The observant visitor to the Norfolk coast can hardly fail to notice its abundant Second World War defences, especially pillboxes.’
- ‘Concrete pillboxes were constructed above the high tide mark, soldiers occupied some of the cottages along the shore front and guards prevented anyone going on the beach at night.’
- ‘He jumped on top of the pillbox, recharged the magazine, threw a grenade in through the door, fired his Sten gun into the box, killing two Germans and making the remainder prisoners.’
- ‘Sandbag-lined bunkers and hastily-constructed concrete pillboxes rose sporadically out of the churned land.’
- ‘He was dealing with the first part of the events that won him the VC, getting on top of the pillbox and chucking grenades into it.’
- ‘The objective was a ridge with strong points and pillboxes.’
- ‘Concrete pillboxes stand as if abandoned only hours before, huge guns still point to sea covering narrow deepwater channels, and everywhere is the detritus of a vanquished army.’
- ‘Dutch Harbor is an easy two-hour flight from Anchorage, and the area is covered with reminders of the war, from concrete pillboxes to a large, underground hospital.’
- ‘Examples of less ambitious fortifications abound, like the concrete pillboxes, often hexagonal, which dot southern England.’
- ‘He almost single-handedly captured two pillboxes on the Mont Fleury Battery and took more than 20 prisoners.’
- ‘When I landed I was carrying a 25-pound explosive which I was given to blow up a pillbox on the beach.’
- ‘There is a set of features along its entire length - World War II defence emplacements, otherwise known as pillboxes.’
- ‘The mobile Sherman tanks were not as effective because of the rubble, so they would be hidden in buildings to operate like a pillbox.’
- ‘As a member of the Western Front Association, he is currently trying to save a concrete pillbox on Rochdale Road East, not far from Heywood Cemetery.’
- ‘It has more than two kilometres of trails, a five-acre lake, wartime pillboxes and new woodland.’
- ‘One first world war pillbox was monitored, as were over 40 second world war examples.’
- ‘A better coastal trip is the southern route along to Agrigento, dotted with the pillboxes left behind after the war.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.