One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of exercises using special apparatus, designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, and posture, and enhance mental awareness.‘this quest for better training has led many dancers to Pilates’as modifier ‘the Pilates method’
- ‘I happen to be a big believer that all athletes should to yoga, Pilates, or something similar.’
- ‘She also says that she finds that Pilates irons out her dancers' physical problems.’
- ‘Sharing Contrology with others, Pilates soon gained recognition as a very successful trainer.’
- ‘Look at what you need to add to your exercise regime - Pilates, cardio or strength training?’
- ‘Given the fact that Pilates focuses on exercising the pelvic floor to build up strength in the tummy and back, it could be a useful tool for pregnant women.’
- ‘The Nob Hill Spa Wellness Center offers massage as well as yoga, Pilates, and tai chi classes.’
- ‘Nutrition and Pilates programme for mums and mums to be Pilates is the ultimate form of exercise and relaxation for women.’
- ‘The routine is based on walking and Pilates and is designed for busy women, especially mums.’
- ‘A form of gentle, almost meditative exercise such as Pilates may seem far removed from the macho world of football.’
- ‘In Pilates, we say to think of the breath coming from the expansion of the sides and the back of the ribs.’
- ‘Since Pilates, I haven't wanted to indulge in any meaningless road rage.’
- ‘Balance those killer workouts with something a bit milder like Pilates or yoga.’
- ‘He used Pilates to control his stomach muscles and adrenalin to ride the wave.’
- ‘Light weights, resistance bands and mat Pilates have helped design her tight body.’
- ‘It's not the time to up the ante to add more yoga and Pilates, but you need strength and core work to see you through.’
- ‘The Pilates system develops strength, flexibility, co-ordination and relaxation.’
- ‘His exercises draw from yoga and Pilates as well as contemporary fitness strategies.’
- ‘Yoga and Pilates beginners could be risking their health by attending classes led by untrained instructors, a report warns today.’
- ‘To complement your regular gym workout, try yoga or Pilates to improve your flexibility and endurance.’
1960s: named after the German physical fitness specialist Joseph Pilates (1880–1967), who devised the system.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.