One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deep-bodied scaleless fish with a protuberant snout, living in the cooler seas of the southern hemisphere.
- ‘Young Pigfish are pinkish with thin stipes on the sides of the body and red lines on the head.’
- ‘Huge abalone, crayfish, dogfish, beautiful seahorses, blue cod, southern pigfish and carpet sharks are just some of the inhabitants to look out for.’
- ‘Even when divers aren't feeding in the tanks, they will always have Pigfish lingering close by, ready to snap up anything that looks like food.’
- ‘Inside, I find shoals of cardinalfish, then on the hull some nosy red pigfish and resting goatfish.’
2usually with modifier Any of a number of other marine fishes, especially one that grunts.
- ‘Pigfish (Orthopristis chrysoptera) are in the grunt family and are another good bait for most bottom fish.’
- ‘Pigfish are members of the grunt family (Haenulidae) which are noted for the rasping or grunting sounds they make in their throat when captured on a hook or otherwise disturbed.’
- ‘Like other members of the grunt family, a pigfish makes a grunting sound by rubbing the teeth in their throat together.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.