One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shallow metal or glass dish with sloping sides in which pies are baked.
- ‘Pour the granulated sugar into a pie pan or shallow bowl.’
- ‘To determine the type of residue, pour one-half cup of the product as it is to be used in a glass pie plate.’
- ‘This time I handled the dough with way more care, and laid it out in a deep pie pan, with ‘flaps’ of dough hanging outside.’
- ‘Each child gets a small ball of dough and a pie pan.’
- ‘Pour one can of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish.’
- ‘One cooks the meat in a pie pan for a full hour, which gives you enough time to whip up some mashed potatoes.’
- ‘When you top raw eggs, though, set them and their containers in a pie pan to catch the drips.’
- ‘Line a large 9-inch pie plate or flan dish with shortcrust pastry, oatmeal pastry or potato.’
- ‘I baked this one in a heavy frying pan just for fun, but you can use a pie plate instead - the result will be the same.’
- ‘Place the single sheet of puff pastry over the pie plate and crimp the edges down with a fork.’
- ‘Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a pie plate (or any dish with a flat bottom and 2 inches of depth); add tomato and turn to coat.’
- ‘Preheat oven to 425° F and brush a 9-inch pie plate, preferably non-stick, with melted butter.’
- ‘Form the pie crust by pressing smooth paste into a nine-inch pie pan.’
- ‘When I bake mine I place it in something like a pie plate - you need something with sides.’
- ‘Spread mixture into a 9-inch pie plate sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.’
- ‘Lisa stands in front of Andrea, an empty pie plate in her hands and a pleased expression in her eyes.’
- ‘Not only had he eaten every bit of his pie he'd managed to slurp up the syrup that was in his pie plate as well.’
- ‘Clara placed the pie plate on the countertop and then turned to face Adam.’
- ‘Once it stiffed somewhat, he poured it also into the pie pan, on top of the meringue and spread it out so it formed smoothly.’
- ‘If you have a pie plate, cover the inside with some felt, enough felt to stick up over the rim of the plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.