One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of graph in which a circle is divided into sectors that each represent a proportion of the whole.
graph, table, tabulation, grid, histogram, diagram, guide, scheme, figure, illustrationView synonyms
- ‘Thus a pie chart showing carbon dioxide divides along roughly the same ratios as one showing energy use.’
- ‘If you are working with nominal or ordinal variables, the bar chart and the pie chart are two of the easiest methods to use.’
- ‘As the demographic pie chart indicates, in addition to members in industry and public practice, we also have members in the public sector and in education.’
- ‘We would have illustrated this with a pie chart, but fear this would only accelerate the crisis.’
- ‘The pie chart shows shares of download totals for the whole six-month period, showing the top ten distributions.’
1920s: because of the resemblance of the graph to a pie divided into portions.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.