Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of graph in which a circle is divided into sectors that each represent a proportion of the whole.
graph, table, tabulation, grid, histogram, diagram, guide, scheme, figure, illustrationView synonyms
- ‘We would have illustrated this with a pie chart, but fear this would only accelerate the crisis.’
- ‘Thus a pie chart showing carbon dioxide divides along roughly the same ratios as one showing energy use.’
- ‘If you are working with nominal or ordinal variables, the bar chart and the pie chart are two of the easiest methods to use.’
- ‘The pie chart shows shares of download totals for the whole six-month period, showing the top ten distributions.’
- ‘As the demographic pie chart indicates, in addition to members in industry and public practice, we also have members in the public sector and in education.’
1920s: because of the resemblance of the graph to a pie divided into portions.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.