One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pidgin in which the chief language is English, used originally between Chinese people and Europeans.
- ‘The different groups speak their own languages, but the language spoken across ethnic lines is a form of pidgin English called Creole.’
- ‘But, with the slow spread of education, the old inter-tribal language of pidgin English is being replaced by widely spoken and understood standard English.’
- ‘When you read the e-mail it is clearly written in pidgin English and is not the style a bank manager would use.’
- ‘I am worried that I will end up speaking a variant of pidgin English, because so few people at work understand proper English.’
- ‘And in formal places, such as in church services and in schools, English is spoken although it is usually interspersed with pidgin English and the native languages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.