One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But the letter of 17 December is most interesting for its comparison of Naples and Rome, with Rome faring much the worse in terms of its street music: ‘there is absolutely no picturesqueness in the common life of the people.’
- ‘The first view of the city is really beautiful, surpassing in picturesqueness any other Peruvian city we had seen.’
- ‘Sydney Harbour on a sunny day really does warrant full marks for picturesqueness.’
- ‘If so, where does all this picturesqueness stop?’
- ‘In joyous picturesqueness and fellow-feeling, freedom of eye and heart, or to say it in a word, in general healthiness of mind, these Novels prove Scott to have been amongst the foremost writers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.