One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The putout of a runner leading off base, involving an unexpected throw to a base by the pitcher or the catcher while the batter is still at bat.
- ‘No major league pitcher, to our knowledge. has ever matched his feat of retiring three runners on pickoff throws in one inning’
- ‘But then he made a crucial mistake, making a wide pickoff throw to first base.’
- ‘Every inning seemed to feature runners on base, full counts, pickoff throws, pitching changes, and breaks to go wake up spectators who may have dozed off.’
- ‘The pitcher throws to first base on a pickoff attempt.’
- ‘When a runner gets on second against the Cubs, pitchers often use a ‘no-look’ sign and attempt a pickoff throw.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.