One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The putout of a runner leading off base, involving an unexpected throw to a base by the pitcher or the catcher while the batter is still at bat.
- ‘No major league pitcher, to our knowledge. has ever matched his feat of retiring three runners on pickoff throws in one inning’
- ‘The pitcher throws to first base on a pickoff attempt.’
- ‘But then he made a crucial mistake, making a wide pickoff throw to first base.’
- ‘When a runner gets on second against the Cubs, pitchers often use a ‘no-look’ sign and attempt a pickoff throw.’
- ‘Every inning seemed to feature runners on base, full counts, pickoff throws, pitching changes, and breaks to go wake up spectators who may have dozed off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.